What’s the difference?
They are two variants of the same core card game but they have clear differences between them. In recent years, Texas Hold’em has become very popular, especially due to it becoming the main game in the WSOP.
This popularity has meant that other variants of poker have seen a slight decline in popularity. However, one variant, Casino, has plenty of merits attached to it, and it is one of the most exciting games of poker you can get involved in.
The rules of Casino Hold’em
- Play in this game starts with each player making a wager.
- The dealer presents two hole cards to himself and then three community cards on the table.
- Each player must fold or call. If he/she folds, then they give up their cards and the Ante bet. If the player calls, then this must be equal to two times the Ante.
- The dealer then deals two more community cards, for a total of five. The dealer then turns over their own two cards.
- Both hands are scored on the value of the two hole cards and five community cards.
- The dealer has to have two fours or better to qualify. If this does not happen then the Ante will pay and the Call bet will push.
- If the dealer managers to qualify and then beats the player, that player will lose both the Ante bet and the call bet.
- If the dealer manages to qualify and the player beats him or her the Ante will pay and the call bet will pay 1 to 1.
- If the dealer manages to qualify and the player ties with the dealer, both the Ante and call bets will push.
Rules for Texas Hold’em
- Every player is dealt two cards, face down. These are known as the hole cards. Three community cards are laid out and will be turned over after the first betting round.
- The turn of the three cards is called the flop
- Betting continues around the table, with players calling the bet amount, raising it or folding
- A fourth card is placed down face up in the community area, this is called the turn card
- Another round of betting takes place
- A fifth card is placed down in the community area face up. This is called the river card
- A final round of betting occurs. The person who makes the best hand with five cards made from the hole as well as the community wins
So how are they different?
Well, there’s the fact that the call has to be two times the ante in Casino, and also the subtle difference of the dealer playing in Casino Hold’em too. Also, the dealer can put the player in Casino Hold’em in quite a precarious position if he or she qualifies.
Texas is based more on raising bets progressively with cards that are simply not seen or shown until later in the game. There are more cards to play with (and lose with) than there are in Texas.